Cahuita was created in the 19th century with the arrival to the coast of English spealing turtle hunters who salied from Bocas del Toro and Nicaragua, and setled provisional camps during seven months, from March to September. In addition to turtle hunting they also plan some products for their servival.
The first of them were the Smith Familly who settled their camp in 1828 where today is know as "Punta Cahuita", this is how the first village was created.
When the president Alfredo Gonzalez Flores (1914-1917), recived help from Cahuita's settlers on occasition of his shipwreck while sailing to Sixaola, his gratefulness was show by buying a piece of land for them to build a new village which is know the present Cahuita. That new setlement was published was published in the Gazzette issue of July 9th, 1915. In 2005 Cahuita become officially a town.
Cahuita comes from miskito's word cawi name of the tree know as "Sangrillo" or sangregao and ta that means point, in fact the name means point where the "Sangrillos" grow, since there was and still be a lot of this species in the original village places.
* Recolected from the Cahuitas peoples histories